What is camper shell?
A camper shell is a hard cover for a truck bed. It is a shell with on both ends and open sides, often utilized for camping. Camper shells comes in three types: fiberglass, hard plastic, and aluminum. Fiberglass is the most expensive material, but it can be removed very easily from the truck if necessary.
Why should you choose a camper shell?
There are many reasons to use a camper shell. Some of the advantages of using a camper shell are listed below.
- Keep your items safe from getting stolen: When you have a foot truck with an open bed, anything left inside can get stolen, particularly if it’s within easy reach. That’s why it’s often a good idea to have a camper shell in order to prevent thieves from taking whatever’s inside.
- Keep your whole stuff dry: During rainy season, the camper shell will prevent your belongings from getting wet or damp. You will enjoy seeing just how great you look tomorrow without worrying about what you’ll wear.
- privacy: Sleeping capacity in the back of a pickup truck without coverings over your face will offer some additional privacy but it can also make you look more vulnerable. Enveloped in the bed, doing anything suspicious may be harder for passersby and robbers to see.
- safety: Whether it’s groceries or camping gear, it will be useful to maintain them in a secure place to avert losing them and theft. A camper shell is perfect for securing the things in the bag, preventing them from bouncing around in the back seat during sharp turns.
- Stay warm/cool During your trip: You can equip your new camper shell with insulation or an AC unit. These items would be expensive to add to your own automobile, but camper shells let you customize the modifications you need without buying a whole new vehicle.
Types of Camper Shells?
When searching for a camper shell, several options are available that will determine the best choice for you. The best options to choose from will be listed below.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass can readily endure heavy weights and not fade in color. It requires little maintenance, but fiberglass will cost a great deal more than other construction materials because it is currently created by molding. It is simple to install, but take care when removing and putting it on the truck bed.
- Aluminum: A lightweight type of camper shell that is very durable and requires very little maintenance. They do not hold up against heavy weights but do protect against light impacts such as rainstorms or even small tree branches. Aluminum shells usually resist rusting, thus staying sleek and stable over time. Aluminum shells are very affordable to buy.
- Bonded Fiberglass: Fiberglass (a slightly stronger version) that is reinforced with resin is often used for camper shells due to its lightweight properties and impact resistance that make it perfect for outdoors use. They are also not as susceptible to corrosion as aluminum shells, so they will last years longer. On average, they are more expensive than aluminum but less expensive than ABS plastic shells.
- ABS Plastic: The virtually impervious ABS material used to make the best camper shells available on the market today makes these shells particularly rugged and able to withstand considerable weight on the top of them, and they won’t deteriorate with long-term usage or exposure to wetness and harsh climates alike. However, ABS shells are usually more expensive than other commonly used materials.
If you’re looking for a way to stay warm and dry during your camping trips, consider investing in a camper shell. Not only will they keep you comfortable and relatively dry, but they can also act as a shelter from the weather when needed. So if you’re planning on hitting the trails this winter, make sure to pack a camper shell!
Leave a Reply